Sunday, October 13, 2013

Readathon: The End


Which hour was most daunting for you? That was definitely around 12th and 13th hour, when I arrived home 3 am-ish local time and not in the most soberest condition. However, I was very determined to read at least one chapter from Sharp Objects before passing out completely, which I did manage.
 
Smoothie speaks the truth. Or at least that's how I felt this morning.

Do you have any suggestions for how to improve the Read-a-thon next year? The only inconvenience I saw was the differences between time zones, but I think those cannot be helped. At least I got to start 3 pm and not 1 am, like some people :)
 
What do you think worked really well in this year’s Read-a-thon? I think organisational side of the event was exceptional, I got answers to all my questions from the web site. Twitter is of course ridiculously useful and entertaining helper when it comes to such things :)
 
How many books did you read? I read from two books, but finished none.
 
What were the names of the books you read? I read Shades of Grey (Jasper Fforde) and Sharp Objects (Gillian Flynn).
 
Which book did you enjoy most? As I suspected, Shades of Grey is maybe a bit heavy on detail for a spike readathon, so I think in that sense I enjoyed Sharp Objects more; however, in normal circumstances and without pressure the roles would be reversed.
 
The book house I hastily built this morning for Ellie's
Book Jenga mini challenge. The Lord of the Rings is
foundation of everything, apparently.
How likely are you to participate in the Read-a-thon again? What role would you be likely to take next time? I do want to participate again as a reader and I sure hope next time will be more convenient for me time wise. This weekend I had maybe 6 hours to read because I was engaged with other things (it's most annoying how life gets in the way of our reading!).
 
Tl;dr - the readathon was awesome, organisers are superhumans, my modest page count was the fault of life. Better luck next time.

10 comments:

  1. I love the book tower!
    Glad you had fun doing the readathon, I wasn't able to take part this year but it looked like a well organised and fun event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was my first time participating and I was very impressed with the organisation of the readathon. It's totally different from the week-long readathon, of course.

      Delete
  2. Your Book Jenga tower is awesome :)

    I used to just do the readathon on my own schedule - like even though it started at 8 AM my time, I would start at 3 AM because I thought it worked better that way with my work schedule. But it's not as fun being off-sync with everyone else, plus I decided to just start at 8 one year and it turns out that actually worked out better. (Of course, not having to work at all would be ideal, but that hasn't been the case yet.)

    I'm glad you joined!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it's more fun than it looks like to build a book tower! I made this one really fast, but I'm thinking one could construct real nifty and high tower of books. Should try that out some day :)

      Yeah, I think big part of readathon enjoyment is reading when everyone else is reading. Otherwise you could have readathons on your own at home (you have done that, if I'm not mistaken), but it's kinda not quite the same - it's like good, but different good.

      Delete
  3. Time zones are such a beast for us! Arrgh! And thank you for your feedback re: website and Twitter. We strive to be helpful and quick! :D --Andi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for organising the event! I can't think of how to change the time zone problem unless someone comes up with the idea of how to completely change the mechanics of the earth rotating :D

      Delete
  4. LOL, love the book pyramid! I didn't participate in any challenges this time around :( Now I know that I was missing some great stuff :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those challenges sure take away some part of precious reading time. This was the only one I did just because it was fun to get up and do something non-mental :)

      Delete
  5. That book pyramid (and the use of Tolkien) is amazing!

    The readathon sounds like so much fun, hopefully I'll be able to take part next time round. I must say I've been feeling a bit envious reading all the blog posts on it... there's little that can beat some dedicated reading time (with great snacks and tea)!

    Lucy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. Dedicated reading time is somewhat of a rarity, be it because of busy life or, like in my case, inability to focus properly.

      Delete

Leave a comment if you feel like it - it warms my little bookish heart. :)